My Adventures in Sewing

Archive for December 2010

Over the weekend I completed another apron for my youngest daughter.  I guess you could call it a smock as it wears like a hospital gown.  It was quite a simple project that came together quickly… until the bias tape.  This was my first time working with bias tape.  How hard could it be, right?  The first section I finished off was a piece of cake!  I was really excited at how easy it was and how polished my project looked.  As I read the directions (that is a post in itself) I was to take one long piece of tape and “outline” the entire apron with this piece.  Things were moving right along when I hit my first speed bump.  There was a major S-curve in the project and I couldn’t quite get the bias tape to mold and fit the shape.  I kept working and working with the tape and finally got things matched up to my liking.  I began sewing the tape to my project and felt I was doing a good job.  I picked up my finished project for final inspection and found a few places on the S-curve didn’t get sewn into the tape, thus leaving me with a hole (if that makes any sense).  A little stitch-witchery and the hole was fixed 🙂  A few more speedbumps and my project was complete. 

Overall I enjoyed this project.  I have not sworn off bias tape. 🙂  In fact, now that I have used it, I feel more prepared for my next bias tape project.  I am finding that the best lessons learned are from mistakes made along the way.


%d bloggers like this: